Police investigation connected to Zay Flowers 'suspended' without charges, report shows

Darcy Costello, Hayes Gardner, Baltimore Sun on

Published in Football

BALTIMORE — The Baltimore County Police investigation connected to Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Zay Flowers has been “suspended” without criminal charges, according to documents the department released Tuesday.

The investigation, which is effectively closed, could be reopened if there is any additional information, according to a note dated Friday.

Identifying information in the report has been redacted, but it indicates Flowers declined through an attorney to be interviewed by police.

The documents confirm earlier Baltimore Sun reporting about an alleged victim’s report to police in Acton, Massachusetts. She told officers there was a “violent domestic incident” in Owings Mills on Jan. 16, in which the “suspect’s brother also drew a firearm.” She declined to name the suspect, other than to say he is an “NFL player” and that they were “all over social media” as a couple.

She told police in Massachusetts she was “physically assaulted” and left with “multiple bruises,” according to the Baltimore County report. In that interview, the alleged victim said “she was living with her boyfriend in a townhouse outside Baltimore, Maryland, when the incident became physical and violent” and that he had “trashed all her stuff and her belongings.” She also repeatedly asked about the consequences of filing a police report and whether criminal charges would “automatically” be filed.

The alleged victim stated that “it was a really bad 10 minutes, but [she] hasn’t been scared since,” according to the report. It also noted her father, who accompanied the alleged victim to speak with police, was “worried about the s— storm that is going to follow.” She didn’t take Acton Police up on an offer of a protective order.


Acton Police wrote in their report the name of the person who they believed was the suspect, but Baltimore County police redacted the name from their report.

According to the case report, Baltimore County police reached the alleged victim Jan. 30 by phone about the report she’d made in Massachusetts. She reportedly said there were “no further issues” and did not “disclose any further details relating to the original report.”

The report also confirms the investigation’s link to a 911 call on Jan. 16. A recording of Baltimore County police dispatch audio from that day, previously reviewed by The Sun, included a 911 dispatcher advising officers of the 12-second call and remarking that the caller seemed “in distress.” Notes in the 911 county’s system, quoted in the police report, said she “was crying” when she hung up. In the audio reviewed by The Sun, the female caller is asked if she has an emergency and responds, “No, that’s OK. Thank you.”

Police identified the call as coming from the townhouse building where Flowers has owned a home since last year, records show. The precise address identified by police from the call, however, was of a unit below the one Flowers owns. An officer dispatched to the scene a short time later on Jan. 16 spoke with a woman via a doorbell camera. That woman said she had not called the police; it’s not clear whether that woman was the alleged victim or someone else.


swipe to next page

©2024 Baltimore Sun. Visit Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.


blog comments powered by Disqus