Senior Living



Social Security’s unique way of lowering Medicare Part B and D premiums


But special situations, also known as “Life Changing Events,” can lower your “income related monthly adjusted amount” (IRMAA).

Below are a few “Life Changing Events” that can make your MAGI go down:

-- You have gotten married or divorced or your spouse has died.

-- You or your spouse have stopped working or have reduced your hours.

-- You have lost property that you were making money from due to a disaster or other event beyond your control.

-- Your or your spouse’s benefits from an insured pension plan stopped or went down.


Use form SSA-44, “Medicare Income-Related Monthly Adjusted Amount - Life-Changing Event,” to advise Social Security of your change in income. Visit to download the form or see chapter 8 of Toni’s Medicare Survival Guide Advanced edition for Medicare forms (including SSA-44 and others).

Once Social Security is satisfied with the evidence, it will update its records and correct Part B and Part D premiums to reflect your current income.

Gwen, since you are now single and no longer receiving Charlie’s income, you will have significant changes to your income amount. The IRS and Social Security office reviews your filed tax returns each year and will adjust your Part B and D premiums to correspond with your new income level the following year. You will want to keep filing Form SSA-44 until your last filed return reflects your current income.

- - -

Toni King is an author and columnist on Medicare and health insurance issues. She has spent nearly 30 years as a top sales leader in the field. If you have a Medicare question, email or call 832-519-8664. Toni’s books and her newsletter are available at Toni’s new Confused about Medicare video series is now available for purchase at, as are Toni’s Medicare Survival Guide and discounted bundle package.

Copyright 2024 Toni King, Distributed by Counterpoint Media




Darrin Bell Bill Day Dogs of C-Kennel Boondocks Barney & Clyde Cul de Sac