Sports

/

ArcaMax

Warriors star Curry plans return to three-point contest at All-Star 2027

Michael Nowels, The Mercury News on

Published in Basketball

Steph Curry did not compete in the All-Star festivities this weekend at Intuit Dome in Inglewood, Calif., due to a knee injury, but he expects to return to the NBA’s showcase weekend next year — and not just for the game.

The Golden State Warriors star told NBC on Sunday as he joined the network’s broadcast of the All-Star Game that he is planning to participate in the 2027 three-point contest in Phoenix.

Curry, 37, has not participated in the contest since 2021, when he won it in Atlanta. He previously won it in 2015 and lost to former teammate Klay Thompson in 2016. Oakland, Calif., native Damian Lillard — in his first competition since returning to the Portland Trail Blazers — won his third three-point title on Saturday night amid his rehab from a torn Achilles suffered in the playoffs last year with Milwaukee.

Lillard is now tied with Larry Bird and Craig Hodges for the NBA’s all-time lead in three-point contest wins. Perhaps his win Saturday night spurred a competitive reaction from Curry, who said he’d try to talk Thompson into joining him and Lillard in the shootout a year from now.

 

As he has missed the Warriors’ last five games with runner’s knee, Curry was ruled out this week from Sunday’s All-Star action, which included round-robin series of games between two U.S. teams and one World team.

Curry, a 12-time All-Star and the NBA’s all-time leader in three-pointers, is expected to return to the Warriors’ lineup soon after the All-Star break ends. Golden State’s next game is Thursday against the Boston Celtics.

____


©2026 MediaNews Group, Inc. Visit at mercurynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus