Wake Forest upsets No. 7 Duke in double overtime, 113-101

Jonas Pope IV, The News & Observer (Raleigh, N.C.) on

Published in Basketball

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- For the second time in as many road games, Duke didn't play its best and an underdog ACC opponent made it pay.

Wake Forest snapped an 11-game losing streak to the No. 7 Blue Devils, winning a wild one, 113-101, in double overtime. The Demon Deacons also snapped a two-game losing streak overall.

Wake Forest led by as many as four in the first overtime, but free throws and missed opportunities allowed the Blue Devils to tie the game.

Tre Jones tied it at 97 with a pair from the foul line after a Wake turnover. Cassius Stanley missed a half-court heave from the buzzer to send the game into the second overtime.

Brandon Childress, who started the game 0 for 10, hit a 3 to start the second OT and Ody Oguama followed that with a layup as the home team took a 102-97 lead. The Blue Devils missed their first four baskets from the field. Wake started the second overtime on a 7-0 run before Jones got Duke on the board with a pair of free throws.

But it was Childress again, knocking down another big shot, pushing the Demon Deacons' lead to eight with 57.7 remaining.


There was plenty of drama, though.

The Demon Deacons made a late push, pulling to within four with 55.3 seconds remaining in regulation. Stanley hit one of two from the foul line t push the lead to five, but Wake answered with a slam from Olivier Sarr, making it a three-point game with 31.7 left. Duke turned it over, Childress hit his first shot from the field, a 3 to tie it, and Duke turned it over again, handing the ball back to the Deacons with 8.1 remaining. Childress missed a runner at the buzzer, sending the game into overtime.

Wake Forest went up three, 87-84, in overtime after a pair of free throws from Sarr. Wake Forest also got a big basket from Childress, who came alive late in the game.

After Tre Jones hit two freebies to make it a one-point game, Sarr scored in the paint, pushing the lead back to three. But Duke got points at the line, with the clock stopped, giving itself a shot. But Childress would not be denied in his last regular-season game against the Blue Devils. He scored while being fouled and the following free throw made it a four-point game with less than 50 seconds remaining.


swipe to next page


blog comments powered by Disqus