Padres outlast Reds in 10 innings, wrap lengthy road trip with 5-2 record

Kevin Acee, The San Diego Union-Tribune on

Published in Baseball

CINCINNATI — Following two crisp games at the start of the series, the game for which a plane was waiting took some detours on its way to lasting more than three hours.

At the end of a seven-game road trip, it seemed longer.

A 6-4 victory over the Reds in 10 innings made it worth it, as the Padres finished off a 5-2 road trip that included a rainout and ensuing doubleheader that caused them to play three games in 33 hours in two cities.

They won Thursday in spite of — and then because of — their bullpen. The relievers' 14 1/3-inning scoring streak was stopped, but the Padres got two scoreless innings from Jeremiah Estrada, who got the win, and a save from Robert Suarez.

The Padres' 10th inning began with Luis Campusano on second base. He advanced to third on a bunt single by Luis Arraez, which gave him four hits in back-to-back games. Campusano scored on Fernando Tatis Jr.'s double, which also moved Arraez to third. A fly-ball by Jake Cronenworth scored Arraez.

Suarez issued a one-out walk in the bottom of the 10th to bring the winning run to the plate before he ended his 14th save with two fly-ball outs.

The Padres (27-26) head back to San Diego to face the Yankees lagging a little but energized by the start and finish to the trek.

They won three straight in Atlanta before dropping the back end of Monday's doubleheader and losing their first game here on the Ohio-Kentucky border. They finished with a 7-3 victory on Wednesday and Thursday's slog, which got exciting at the end.

Padres starting pitcher Matt Waldron labored, as did his Reds counterpart.

The Padres led 4-2 when Waldron departed after five innings, and the Reds got Frankie Montas off the hook for the loss by tying the game in the half-inning after he departed.

When Enyel De Los Santos ran in to begin the sixth inning, no Padres reliever had allowed a run since Sunday — a span of four games and 14 1/3 innings. They had allowed just one run in 19 2/3 innings since leaving San Diego.

Two batters later, after a walk to Spencer Steer and a home run by Nick Martini, the bullpen's scoreless streak ended and the Padres' 4-2 lead was gone.

De Los Santos struck out the next two batters before being replaced by left-hander Yuki Matsui, who promptly walked No. 9 batter Will Benson. He got out of that inning when, on a pitch that took him to 3-1 against Jacob Hurtubise, catcher Kyle Higashioka threw out Benson trying to steal second.

After the Padres went down on three straight strikeouts against Fernando Cruz, Matsui came back out for the bottom of the seventh and got three out against batters working from the right side, including switch-hitters Elly De La Cruz and Jeimer Candelario, the Reds' No. 2 and No. 3 hitters.


Estrada got them to the 10th, striking out the final five batters he faced.

It was a janky kind of game from the start.

The top of the first ended when Manny Machado was thrown out at third trying to advance on a bounced pitch. The bottom of the first ended when Candelario was thrown out trying to go home on the front end of a double steal attempt.

The Padres loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the second, and the Reds loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the second.

The difference was the Padres scored twice in each inning, while the Reds scored once in each inning.

Arraez led off the game with a single and was replaced at first base by Tatis after a fielder's choice grounder. Jurickson Profar followed with a single, and after Cronenworth flied out, Machado's fifth double in five games drove in both runners.

Hurtubise led off the Reds' half of the inning by leaving/moving his back knee in the path of a Waldron knuckleball, and he scored on Candelario's one-out triple. After a two-out walk by Spencer Steer, the Reds sent Steer to second. When Higashioka threw to second, Candelario took off. Shortstop Ha-Seong Kim moved up to catch the ball on the grass and threw home to get Candelario.

David Peralta grounded a single through the middle and Jackson Merrill laid down a bunt single to start the second inning. Both scored when Kim walked, Higashioka grounded into a fielder's choice and Arraez singled.

A walk and two singles loaded the bases for the Reds in the bottom of the second, and a one-out single by Hurtubise got them to 4-2 before Waldron struck out De La Cruz for the second time and got Candelario to ground out to second.

Waldron retired the Reds in order for the first time in the fourth inning, and Montas followed with his first 1-2-3 inning.

Another out at the plate helped Waldron escape peril in the fifth. After De La Cruz doubled and stole third base with one out, he was thrown out trying to score on a check-swing grounder to Machado. A groundout completed the fifth.


©2024 The San Diego Union-Tribune. Visit Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.



blog comments powered by Disqus