Step into the batter's box for some baseball trivia
Editors note: This is the print version of George Will's annual spring training baseball quiz.
WASHINGTON -- When umpire Dutch Leonard blew a call at first base, then-St. Louis Cardinals manager Joe Torre trotted out and asked, "How come you're such a good ball-strike umpire and such [expletive] on the bases?" Leonard, equally puzzled, amiably replied, "Isn't that something?" Try to be as serene as Leonard was if you miss some of these calls:
(1) What two players hit over .400 in a season without winning the batting title?
(2) Who is the only third baseman in history to have at least 50 doubles and 30 homeruns in a season?
(3) What third baseman lost the 1953 American League batting title, and hence the Triple Crown, on a close play at first on the last out of the season?
(4) Who won the batting title?
(5) What six-time All-Star's first major-league hit was a grand-slam home run?
(6) Who is the only pitcher with 100 saves and 100 complete games?
(7) What four players have more than 500 home runs and at least three World Series rings?
(8) Who took his team to the postseason in his first four years managing?