/

He cheated, she forgave him, now he wants to make it up to her

And if you really really can't, then break up with your girlfriend and give monogamy a pass till you can.

When I was 24, I was married. It was a mistake of great proportions, for both of us, and it ended in divorce five months later. Fast-forward six years. We run into each other, have dinner and a year later we're living together and existing in a relationship so good I didn't think it was possible. The problem is, a number of my friends are still having some difficulty with the idea that we're back together. I still get the occasional snide remark, snicker or smirk when I mention him. What is really remarkable is that none of these people knew him when we were married. How do I handle this without overreacting?

-- Lucky Me

You have a great story on your hands. Enjoy it. Beat everyone to the smirk. Laugh at yourself. You want to be taken seriously; I get it. But not only is laughing always better than overreacting, you'll also save everyone the trouble of having to laugh at you. If you get over it, they get over it. Call it a mistake of great panache.

When even that gets old: "We're over it. I can't wait till everyone else is, too."

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2019, Washington Post Writers Group

Blondie Crankshaft Rose is Rose Clay Bennett Little Dog Lost Wizard of Id