/

Annie's Mailbox: Organ Donation

Dear Annie: Several years ago, you printed a poem about organ donation. I carried it until it ripped to shreds. I'm in end-stage renal failure and want people to be aware of the importance of organ donation. Please reprint it. -- Not Giving Up

Dear Not: Here it is, with our hopes for your recovery:

"To Remember Me" by Robert Noel Test (1926-1994)

The day will come when my body will lie upon a white sheet neatly tucked under four corners of a mattress located in a hospital busily occupied with the living and the dying.

At a certain moment a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped.

When that happens, do not attempt to instill artificial life into my body by the use of a machine. And don't call this my deathbed. Let it be called the Bed of Life, and let my body be taken from it to help others lead fuller lives.

Give my sight to a man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face or love in the eyes of a woman.

Give my heart to a person whose own heart has pain.

Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play.

Give my kidneys to one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week.

Bob Gorrell Jeff Koterba David Horsey Walt Handelsman Signe Wilkinson Spectickles