Annie's Mailbox for 1/1/2018
Of all they said and did!
Oh stay, oh stay,
One tender hour, and then away.
Even while we sing, he smiles his last,
And leaves our sphere behind.
The good old year is with the past;
Oh be the new as kind!
Oh stay, oh stay,
One parting strain, and then away.
Dear Annie: Several years ago, you printed a piece on New Year's Day that I thought was terrific. It was called "Golden Rules for Living." It was simple and made so much sense. If you can find it, would you consider reprinting it? -- Your Fan in Madison, Wis.
Dear Fan: With pleasure. Thanks for giving us the time off.
"Golden Rules for Living" by Miriam Hamilton Keare
1. If you open it, close it.
2. If you turn it on, turn it off.
3. If you unlock it, lock it up,
4. If you break it, admit it.
5. If you can't fix it, call in someone who can.
6. If you borrow it, return it.
7. If you value it, take care of it.
8. If you make a mess, clean it up.
9. If you move it, put it back.
10. If it belongs to someone else, get permission to use it.
11. If you don't know how to operate it, leave it alone.
12. If it's none of your business, don't ask questions.
Dear Annie: Please tell "Nervous in Vermont," the young man who is longing to let his family know he is a transgender male, that Vermont is extremely fortunate to have an organization, Outright Vermont, that supports LGBTQ youth. He will be able to connect with a dedicated and skilled staff, as well as with other youth who will understand what he is experiencing. Outright Vermont (outrightvt.org) is located in Burlington.
This young man also could investigate whether his school has a Gay-Straight Alliance or similar organization. He also can speak with his school or SAP counselor (if he is comfortable doing so) for support and strategies to talk with his mother. -- A Vermont GSTA Adviser and SAP Counselor
This Classic Annie's Mailbox column was originally published in 2012. To find out more about Classic Annie's Mailbox and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit Creators Syndicate at www.creators.com.