Carter Hart's goaltending, third-period surge lift Flyers past Hurricanes, 4-1

Sam Carchidi, The Philadelphia Inquirer on

Published in Hockey

PHILADELPHIA -- Carter Hart, looking like the goaltender who was dominant in his first three starts this season, stopped 33 of 34 shots Tuesday night as the Flyers increased their point streak to three games.

Hart was superb, and Travis Konecny gave the Flyers the lead for good early in the third period as the Flyers outlasted Carolina, 4-1, at the Wells Fargo Center.

The Flyers were outplayed by the hard-working Hurricanes in the first two periods, but Hart had them in a 1-1 tie.

Konecny made it 2-1 with 18 minutes, 48 seconds left in regulation, knocking in a fat rebound allowed by Petr Mrzaek.

Matt Niskanen, the veteran defenseman acquired in the deal that sent Radko Gudas to Washington in the offseason, took the original shot and collected his second primary assist in the game. Konecny scored his seventh goal, tying Oskar Lindblom for the team lead, and starting a 3-0 third-period domination.

Joel Farabee, the 19-year-old rookie right winger who is playing on the top line, secured the win when he scored on his own rebound with 7:01 left, giving the Flyers a 3-1 lead. Claude Giroux (two points) made it 4-1 as he scored on a breakaway with 2:22 to go.


With 13:43 left in the second period and defensemen Shayne Gostisbehere and Justin Braun caught out of position, the Hurricanes had a two-on-one down low and Lucas Wallmark converted a pass from Trevor (brother of James) van Riemsdyk -- who got it past the lone defender, center Kevin Hayes -- to tie the game at 1-1.

Seconds before the goal, Wallmark knocked the stick out of Hart's hands. For some reason, the Flyers did not challenge for goaltender interference, which should have been called on the play. Hart kind of shrugged after the goal and did not appear to complain to the officials.

Earlier in the second period, play opened up and the goalies took turns making difficult saves in the first couple minutes of the session. Former Flyer Mrazek stopped Hayes on a two-on-one with 19:23 left in the second, and 38 seconds later, Hart denied Sebastian Aho on a short-handed breakaway.

Fifty seconds after that stop, Claude Giroux sent Konecny in alone on Mrazek. Konecny made a couple of deft moves, but Mrazek wouldn't bite and made the save.


swipe to next page


blog comments powered by Disqus