RENTON, Wash. — Three-and-a-half months after a report broke that Russell Wilson would approve a trade to one of four other NFL teams, the Seahawks quarterback finally spoke to Seattle media Thursday.
He did so roughly 90 minutes after the team concluded its 10 OTAs (organized team activities), taking questions for almost 30 minutes.
In the process, Wilson said he never requested a trade but admitted that a list had been submitted, noting he has a no-trade clause. He also said he still hopes to finish his career in Seattle and that he has had “great conversations’’ with team president Chuck Arnold, coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider since the trade rumors erupted and that all are on the same page and committed to one goal — winning, a word, or version thereof, that Wilson used time and again.
That Wilson acknowledged the trade list and that he was frustrated with the how the 2020 season ended may not totally quiet the idea that Wilson’s future is best viewed at this point as a year-to-year thing.
But as would be expected of the always PR-conscious Wilson, the overall theme was of trying to downplay the offseason contention, Wilson calling it “blown out of proportion’’ and play up the hopes of the 2021 season and beyond.
Here are some highlights of what Wilson said:
Yes, Russell Wilson’s trade list existed
Trade rumors involving Wilson picked up steam on Feb. 25 when ESPN’s Adam Schefter revealed that Wilson would approve a trade to Dallas, Las Vegas, Chicago and New Orleans.
And when pressed, Wilson admitted it existed.
After stories broke that he could be traded. Wilson said “obviously, tons of teams were calling, and I think that the reality was is that I didn’t really want to go anywhere else. I wanted to play in Seattle, but if I had to go somewhere here’s the teams I would consider. At the end of the day, I have no trade clause, right?’’