LOS ANGELES -- An impending contract extension expected to make him the highest-paid player at his position in NFL history is not on Jalen Ramsey's mind.
The Los Angeles Rams' star cornerback made that clear Tuesday during a videoconference with reporters that included Ramsey walking out after fielding several questions about the subject -- and then returning to explain his exit.
"I'm not worried about it," he said. "I'm worried about football. I'm worried about other things in my life. Like my blessings will come when they come. I got all my trust in God."
Ramsey, 25, joined the Rams last October after they gave the Jacksonville Jaguars first-round draft picks in 2020 and 2021. Ramsey, the fifth pick in the 2016 draft, is due to earn $13.7 million this season playing under a fifth-year option.
The Rams made the midseason trade for the three-time Pro Bowl player without an extension in place, but team officials have expressed confidence a deal would get done. Ramsey had said he would report for training camp without a new contract, and he arrived in Thousand Oaks for COVID-19 testing last week.
On Monday, Rams general manager Les Snead declined to offer specifics about the state of negotiations but expressed optimism and said the Rams had a good relationship with Ramsey's agent, David Mulugheta.
Tuesday marked the second day of training camp team activities for the Rams during an acclimation phase that can include team meetings, conditioning drills without position coaches and a walkthrough.
It also included a midday videoconference for Ramsey.
After fielding a few questions about how it felt to be back, building camaraderie with teammates and playing football during a pandemic, Ramsey was asked if it was important to him have a new contract done before the season opener.
"My agent and the front office, they'll handle all that," Ramsey said.