Sports

/

ArcaMax

Canelo Alvarez, Gennady Golovkin rematch deal is finalized for May 5

Lance Pugmire, Los Angeles Times on

Published in Boxing

LOS ANGELES -- Following some extended late back-and-forth negotiating and bickering, Gennady Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez will meet again May 5 in an attempt to settle their unresolved draw in September.

Golovkin promoter Tom Loeffler told the Los Angeles Times early Monday afternoon that his three-belt middleweight champion from Kazakhstan has agreed to the rematch, which will be broadcast by HBO pay-per-view.

"I'm delighted to once again participate in one of the most important boxing events in history," Alvarez said in a prepared statement Monday. "The second fight is for the benefit and pleasure of all fans who desire to see the best fight the best. This time, Golovkin won't have any excuses regarding the judges because I'm coming back to knock him out."

The deal was covertly signed Saturday night at the Forum with Loeffler and Alvarez promoter Oscar De La Hoya in attendance during title victories by Jorge Linares and Lucas Matthysse.

The bout's location has not been confirmed yet. T-Mobile Arena is expected to land the bout again, but Madison Square Garden has "expressed a large interest, larger than what we generated in the first fight" from T-Mobile, Loeffler said.

The site deal is expected to be finalized in February.

 

Alvarez was in Paris with De La Hoya on Monday on a trip to visit a sponsor. Alvarez is interested in increasing his cardio endurance for the rematch and is exploring training in the high altitude, with Colorado Springs under consideration, De La Hoya said.

"He's serious about this fight and he wants no judge to decide this outcome," De La Hoya said. "It's an excellent idea. It worked for me and I believe it's going to work for Canelo on Cinco de Mayo."

Earlier this month, Eric Gomez, the president of Alvarez's promotional company, Golden Boy, told the Times the deal was days from being done, that Alvarez had agreed to all deal points with no rematch clause in place.

Golovkin was in Kazakhstan at the time and was irked by how the story appeared, ordering talks frozen until he returned to the United States and scrutinized the remaining deal points until they were re-discussed.

...continued

swipe to next page
 

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus