Tropical Storm Ian has claimed four lives in North Carolina thus far, Gov. Roy Cooper said Saturday, including the victims of two traffic accidents and a carbon monoxide poisoning, all in Johnston County.
“The storm has passed, but many hazards remain with downed trees, downed power lines and power outages,” Cooper said. “We mourn with the families of those who have died and urge everyone to be cautious while cleaning up to avoid more deaths or injuries.”
Tropical Storm Ian left nearly 50,000 people in the Triangle without power Saturday — after peaking at almost 90,000 Friday night — but spared the region any major damage, knocking down trees but sweeping through the state without widely expected flooding.
Duke Power reported roughly 850,000 outages across North and South Carolina through the duration of the storm, more than half of which had been restored by Saturday afternoon.
At its peak, Ian left more than 70% of the customers hard-hit Edgecombe County in the dark.
Cooper said four deaths are being attributed to the storm:
— A 25-year-old man who died Friday after losing control of his car on a wet road in Johnston County and hydroplaning into another car.
— A 24-year-old woman who died in Clayton Friday when her car ran off a rain-covered road and into a tree.
— A 65-year-old man in Johnston County who died of carbon monoxide poisoning after leaving a generator running in his garage Friday night. The man’s wife was hospitalized.
— A 22-year-old man who drowned in Martin County when his truck ran off a roadway and into a flooded swamp Friday night.