Weather

/

Knowledge

Forecasters watching another system

Michelle Marchante, Miami Herald on

Published in Weather News

MIAMI -- As Tropical Storm Isaias, which largely spared Florida, is expected to strengthen into a hurricane again as it nears the Carolinas, forecasters are also watching another system that could develop into a tropical depression later this week.

The disturbance is a few hundred miles north of the northern Leeward Islands and while it is not well organized "environmental conditions could allow for some slow development during the next several days," according to the National Hurricane Center's 2 a.m. EDT advisory.

It could turn into a tropical depression later this week, according to the hurricane center.

Forecasters say the system is expected to move northwest at about 15 mph over the southwestern Atlantic through Tuesday and could possibly "stall" several hundred miles southwest of Bermuda later this week.

The hurricane center says it has a 40% chance of cyclone formation in the next two days and a 60% chance of formation in the next five days. It is currently not a threat to any land.

 

(c)2020 Miami Herald

Visit Miami Herald at www.miamiherald.com

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

 

Notice: ArcaMax will be switching out comment system over to Facebook comments on 6/22

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus