MONTECITO, Calif. -- The death toll from a massive debris flow that buried homes and cars under a torrent of mud and boulders has risen to 15 in Montecito, where local personnel and the U.S. Coast Guard are planning to continue rescue operations Wednesday morning.
About 300 people remained stuck in their homes in Montecito's Romero Canyon neighborhood and authorities planned to launch helicopter rescues at daybreak Wednesday morning.
The mudslides began around 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday, when intense rains dislodged boulders and caused heavy mudflow along hillsides that were scarred by the sprawling Thomas fire late last year. A number of homes were ripped from their foundations, with some pulled more than a half-mile by water and mud before they broke apart.
"It looked like a World War I battlefield," Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown said Tuesday.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office said on Twitter that the death toll had risen to 15 early Wednesday morning, but could not provide additional details. With much of the area still inaccessible, officials have said they fear that number could rise.
It's unclear how many remain missing, while dozens of residents have been injured, according to officials.
Southern California was drenched Tuesday, but nowhere did the rainstorm inflict more pain than in Montecito, just weeks after the community dealt with the devastating Thomas fire.
Some 500 firefighters from across the state rushed to help, with crews struggling through clogged roads, waist-deep mud and downed trees throughout the day in search of victims. Dozens of survivors were hoisted to safety in helicopters.
The rain overwhelmed the south-facing slopes above Montecito, flooding the creek and sending mud and boulders into residential neighborhoods, officials said.
At least 7,000 people have been evacuated from the area.