Just when you thought you were done with Pokemon Go Fest 2020, Niantic springs one last surprise. Because of technical issues with some habitat blocks, the company is holding a three-hour makeup event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 16, Pacific time.
The makeup event will cover Pokemon that appeared in the fire, water and friendship habitat hours and is for those who purchased a Pokemon Go Fest 2020 ticket. Unfortunately, there is not battle habitat hour. That span had some of the most sought-after pocket monsters of the event, but this will do. Included with the makeup day are a free special box that includes two incense and two remote raid passes. Keep in mind, you can only claim the box if you have fewer than three remote raid passes. That's because of the five pass limit on that item. In addition, gifts opened during this event will have rare candy.
Think of this as a bonus or maybe an encore to Go Fest 2020. With the benefit of hindsight, here is the best way to prepare for the day:
1. Stack the use of 4 hours worth of incense at 10:55 a.m. Incense for the event lasts one hour, but they are crucial if you want to get the rarest Pokemon. I learned this the hard way when I forgot to use incense for about 15 minutes during the fire habitat and I was curious to know why I hadn't a Heatmor in what seemed like ages.
2. Go to an area that fulfills these two criteria:
A) It is a dense spawn area. With Pokemon Go Fest 2020, the more Pokemon there are the higher chance you have of tapping on one that will be shiny. The people who caught the most shiny Pokemon were also in areas that were flooded with pocket monsters.
B) Make sure the area isn't crowded with people. The dangers of the coronavirus pandemic are real and being in crowded places especially without a mask is risky. It's better to stay healthy and have a chance at the Ultra Week bonuses rather than being sick during those days and missing out. The fear of missing out is real.
3. Prioritize the rarest spawn Pokemon. If I could rank the top 10 rarest and most useful shiny spawns among the three habitats it would be the following:
1. Unonwn - These appear rarely in the wild and more often during large conventions, which probably won't happen any time soon. If you see an unown it's always wise to grab it. If it's shiny, you are especially lucky.
2. Heatmor - This is a regional Pokemon and it's shiny variant will be harder to get especially for those who live in Europe, Asia and Australia.