Satisfy your craving for cheesy, indulgent lasagna with this noodle-less version. Roasted eggplant slices stand in for noodles in this low-carb, gluten-free lasagna.
No-Noodle Eggplant Lasagna
Active Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
2 large eggplants
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic
1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
Chopped fresh basil for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared pans. Roast until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and onion; cook, stirring and crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, wine, basil, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
4. Combine ricotta and egg in a small bowl. Spread about 1 cup of the sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange 1/4 of the eggplant slices over the tomato sauce. Dollop on about 1/3 cup of the ricotta mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Make another layer with another 1/4 of the eggplant slices, this time arranging them crosswise to the first layer. Top with 1 cup sauce, dollop on 1/3 cup ricotta mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 2 more layers.
5. Bake the lasagna, uncovered, until the sauce is bubbling around the edges, 30 to 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
Tip: To make ahead, prepare through Step 4 and refrigerate, covered, for up to two days. Continue with Step 5.
Recipe nutrition per serving: 263 Calories, Total Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 74 mg, Carbohydrates: 18 g, Fiber: 6 g, Total Sugars: 8 g, Protein: 21 g, Sodium: 409 mg, Potassium: 805 mg, Phosphorus: 317 mg, Iron: 2 mg, Folate: 59 mcg, Calcium: 289 mg, Vitamin A: 810 IU, Vitamin C: 28 mg, Vitamin D: 11 IU.
(EatingWell is a magazine and website devoted to healthy eating as a way of life. Online at www.eatingwell.com.)
©2022 Meredith Corporation. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.