In this healthy mocha chocolate ice cream pie recipe, crumbled chocolate cookies make an easy and tasty crust for the chocolate-coffee filling made with nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt topped with chocolate-covered espresso beans.
Mocha Ice Cream Pie
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 40 minutes
For the crust:
2 cups coarsely crumbled chocolate snap cookies
3 tablespoons canola oil
For the filling and topping:
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons instant espresso or coffee powder
1/4 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans, chopped
To prepare the crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
Process cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Add oil and process until well combined. Using your fingertips or the back of a spoon, press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake until just set, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
To make the filling:
1. Whip cream in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until starting to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in yogurt.
2. Combine water, cocoa powder and espresso (or coffee) powder in a small bowl; stir until the powders are dissolved. Gently fold the cocoa-espresso mixture into the yogurt-cream mixture.
3. Spread the flavored yogurt-cream mixture into the cooled crust. Top with chocolate-covered espresso beans. Freeze until very firm, at least 5 hours.
1. Let the pie stand at room temperature until softened slightly, about 15 minutes, before slicing.
—Once frozen, wrap airtight and freeze for up to one week. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before serving.
—For a healthier cookie crust, choose cookies without any partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats).
—Use a 9-inch pie pan (not deep dish).
Recipe nutrition per serving: 289 Calories, Total Fat: 18 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 31 mg, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Fiber: 1 g, Total Sugars: 20 g, Added Sugars: 18 g, Protein: 5 g, Sodium: 125 mg, Potassium: 78 mg, Folate: 1 mcg, Calcium: 68 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
(EatingWell is a magazine and website devoted to healthy eating as a way of life. Online at www.eatingwell.com.)