(UPI) An Oklahoma veterinarian said an ailing dog brought in after eating a baby's "binkie" was found to have swallowed 21 pacifiers.
Dr. Chris Rispoli of the Gentle Care Animal Hospital in Edmond said Dovey, a 4-year-old Shar-Pei he has been seeing since she was a puppy, was brought in by her family Wednesday.
The family told Rispoli they had observed Dovey vomiting and losing weight recently, and their newborn's grandma told them she had seen the canine walk off with one of the infant's pacifiers.
They brought Dovey to the veterinarian after she vomited a pacifier and they started to suspect their recent "missing binkie dilemma" might be related to the incident.
The initial X-ray indicated there could be seven to nine pacifiers in the dog's stomach, but Rispoli conducted surgery and ended up removing 21.
Sponsored Video Stories from LifeZette
"In 20 years, this is the craziest surgery I've ever done," Rispoli told KOKH-TV.
Rispoli said he hopes the case serves as a reminder to dog owners to keep the canines far away from objects they could be tempted to swallow.
The veterinarian said conducting surgery on Dovey allowed him to pay back the dog's owner, a doctor who "incidentally sutured my forehead together last year when the leaf blower fell off the shelf in the garage onto my face!"Copyright 2017 by United Press International