The Common Application offers students seven essay prompts. They need to choose just one and write an essay of 250-650 words. Six of the seven are the same as last year, and the one new prompt is:
"Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?"
This prompt is encouraging students to talk about gratitude and appreciation in a more grown-up way. Students who select this prompt should try to:
* Examine when you’ve felt grateful to someone else.
* Delve deeper into understanding why you’ve felt appreciative. Ask yourself why you feel this way and how that sense of appreciation has motivated you to do something new or different.
* Understand when you feel gratitude and how you express yourself when you’re feeling that way.
* Talk about the impact of gratitude in your life: What has it brought into your life, and how have you changed and/or grown due to recognizing your gratitude.
* Describe how your behavior toward others is different now.
* Think about the word and the feeling of “kindness.”
* Ask yourself how you’ve been more kind over the last year and how has that impacted you and those around you.