Home & Leisure

How to file a Hurricane Ida damage claim for wind and flooding

Erin Arvedlund, The Philadelphia Inquirer on

Published in Home and Consumer News

—Hire a lawyer

Many insurers use an "anti-concurrent-causation" clause in their policies that, insurers allege, removes coverage for wind damage if a flood happens at about the same time, which could be a serious problem in claims from Hurricane Ida.

If an insurer uses such a clause to deny your wind claim or to offer a very inadequate payment, read the provision carefully to see if you think it is ambiguous and, if so, see an attorney right away.

—Keep good notes

In addition to an award covering your claim, if your treatment was particularly bad, the courts in many states will allow additional compensation when the insurance company acted in "bad faith." Since insurance companies take your money in exchange for their promise to make you whole when disaster strikes, they must act in utmost good faith in performing that obligation.


—What isn't covered by your homeowners policy

Homeowners policies do not cover flood, earthquake, tree removal (except when the tree damages the house) or food spoilage from power failures. Flood damage will be covered by your flood insurance policy.

Dealing with flood claims. The federal government underwrites flood insurance coverage, although insurance companies — known as "Write Your Own" companies — are contracted with the government to service claims.

©2021 The Philadelphia Inquirer, LLC. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.