Home & Leisure

How to file a Hurricane Ida damage claim for wind and flooding

Erin Arvedlund, The Philadelphia Inquirer on

Published in Home and Consumer News

1. Call your agent with questions about risk.

Contact your insurance agent or call the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) 877-336-2627.

2. If you have flood insurance and a legitimate claim, file immediately.

Insurers should not raise your rate for filing this claim or fail to renew your policy for filing. Report your claim as promptly as possible as insurance companies generally handle them first come, first serve. Remember to write down your claim number.

3. Find out what kind of adjuster you're dealing with.

When the insurance company sends out an adjuster to survey damage, ask if they are an employee of the insurance company or an independent adjuster hired by them.


If they are an independent adjuster, ask if they are authorized to make claim decisions and payments on behalf of your insurance company and ask for the name of the in-house company adjuster.

4. You can use your own contractor.

As you begin the claim process, if you can, get a repair estimate from a trusted local contractor to use as a guide in talking with the adjuster.

Many insurance companies have repair programs in which they offer to send out one of their approved contractors to estimate your property damage. You may wish to obtain an estimate from their contractor, but you are not under any obligation to use them.


swipe to next page
©2021 The Philadelphia Inquirer, LLC. Visit at Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.