Home & Leisure

Susan Tompor: IRS: Tax refund fraudsters already had much of that Equifax stolen data

Susan Tompor, Detroit Free Press on

Published in Home and Consumer News

A business -- or a consumer -- can spot signs of trouble when:

--A request for an extension to file -- or an electronically filed return -- is rejected because a return with the same Employer Identification Number or Social Security number is already on file.

--A receipt of a tax transcript or IRS notice suddenly shows up but doesn't correspond to anything submitted by the filer.

--Or maybe the business does not receive routine correspondence from the IRS because the thief has changed the address.

If you're concerned about ID fraud, you can:

--Report tax-related scams at

--File a complaint at the Federal Trade Commission at

--Call the IRS to verify any unpaid income tax bill before wiring money or putting money on a prepaid card at 800-829-1040.

About The Writer

Susan Tompor is the personal finance columnist for the Detroit Free Press. She can be reached at

(c)2017 Detroit Free Press

Visit Detroit Free Press at

Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.



blog comments powered by Disqus