Senior Living

/

Health & Spirit

Can Senior Citizens Get Social Security Disability Insurance?

Tom Margenau on

Maybe it's the sign of the times, but I've been getting a lot of emails recently from senior citizens asking if they can get Social Security disability benefits. The answer depends on a variety of factors. It can get a little complicated.

But I can begin with some relatively easy answers. If you are over your full retirement age (66 for most people reading this column), you can forget it. Once you reach that age, disability benefits are no longer payable. Or to put that another way, once you are full retirement age or older, a disability benefit pays the same rate as a retirement benefit.

And here is another easy one. If you are under age 62 (the minimum Social Security retirement age) and you become disabled, you should definitely apply for Social Security disability benefits. To be considered disabled, you must have worked and paid Social Security taxes in five out of the last 10 years, and you must have a physical or mental impairment that is expected to last at least 12 months. If your claim is approved, you get a disability benefit that is essentially equal to your full retirement benefit rate.

Now here are some recent questions I got from disabled seniors that demonstrate how things can get a little more complicated if you are between 62 and 66.

Q: I just turned 64 years old. I filed for Social Security retirement on my 62nd birthday. I've had some major health problems lately. Is it too late to file for disability benefits?

A: It's not too late. But don't expect a big boost in your monthly Social Security checks if your disability claim is approved.

 

Because you took reduced retirement at age 62, you are currently getting 75% of your full rate. As stated above, a disability benefit normally pays an amount equal to your age 66 full retirement rate. But from that amount, they must deduct roughly one-half of 1% for every month you've already received a Social Security retirement check.

It sounds like you've gotten about 24 monthly Social Security checks -- meaning your disability benefit must be reduced by 12%. So, if your disability claim is approved, instead of getting the full retirement rate of 100%, you would get about 88%. Still, that is better than the 75% reduced retirement rate that you are currently getting.

Q: I have been getting Social Security since age 62. I am now three months shy of turning 66. I recently had open-heart surgery. Can I switch to disability benefits?

A: In your case, it would do little good. Assuming your disability claim would be approved, they would take your 100% disability rate and subtract roughly one-half of 1% for all the retirement benefits you've received so far. My calculations show you've gotten 44 retirement checks. So that means a 22% reduction must be applied to your disability benefit, leaving you with a 78% rate. You are already getting a 75% reduced retirement benefit. You'd have to decide if it is worth all the hassle of filing a disability claim to get the extra 3% per month.

...continued

swipe to next page

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
 
 

Social Connections

Comics

9 Chickweed Lane Rubes Andy Marlette Steve Benson The Other Coast Al Goodwyn