/

He Wanted to Supersize Her

Cheryl Lavin on

There comes that moment in some relationships when you know it's love. And then, in some relationships, there comes the moment when you know it's over.

JESSIE: I knew it was over when my boyfriend said, "She'll have the supersize" when ordering my McDonald's meal on our way to Florida. He had previously always made me eat diet food and work out with him. I knew there had to be a reason why he didn't care what I looked like anymore. He was done with me, so I could eat all the fried food I wanted -- and supersize it to boot!

Sure enough, after five days of emotional torture in Florida, he broke up with me. When I asked him why he didn't do it before we left, he said he didn't want to ruin my vacation!

LISA: He always put the cream and sugar in my coffee for me. He prided himself on knowing exactly how I liked it.

One afternoon, we were meeting for a quick cup of coffee before going our separate ways. The waitress brought my coffee, and I waited for him to fix it for me. And waited. And waited.

I looked at him. He looked at me. He said, "There's something we have to talk about." I didn't give him the chance to break up with me. I just got up and walked out.

LENNIE: I knew it was over as soon as she handed me the questionnaire.

She was 35, and I was 45. Neither of us had been married. A month into dating, she mentioned that her parents had divorced when she was a teenager and that she wanted to avoid that. To discover whether or not I was "the one," she gave me a list of 20 questions.

The first question was "How many children do you want? Zero is not an acceptable answer." She had previously mentioned that she wanted 10 children. That's right, 10. And she was already pushing 40. When I mentioned the possibility of birth defects, she said, "Birth defects happen to other people."

I said I didn't want children. She said she was willing to compromise -- on five children.

There was no reason for me to read the other 19 questions.

That was a long time ago. I've been happily married over 25 years to a woman who felt the same about children as I did. And as far as I know, the would-be mother of 10 never married and never had any children.

PAULA: Of course, we had feelings for each other, and I was sure of his love for me. But what really clinched it for me was when my new husband and I visited my aunt, my grandmother and my mom all in one day and they each served him chop suey!

It was just a crazy coincidence. No one knew what the others were cooking, and we didn't find out until we arrived at each of their homes. He ate chop suey at each and every house. Not just one bowl, mind you, but at least two. And he did not like chop suey.

We still laugh about it today, almost 43 years later. And he still does not like chop suey.

========

I knew it was love when ... I knew it was over when ... Fill in the blanks and send your tale, along with your questions, problems and rants to cheryllavinrapp@gmail.com. And check out my e-books, "Dear Cheryl: Advice from Tales from the Front" and "I'll Call You. Not."

--Ads from Google--

The Other Coast Dog Eat Doug Speed Bump The Lockhorns Pickles Mutts