/

'Open House' Not So Open After All

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

But she is not here to reminisce about phones with you. Yes, a business should identify itself, although social callers need not. The problem is how to tell the difference. Telemarketers have caught on to that predicament.

Miss Manners therefore suggests you politely continue to ask your question -- preferably adding, May I please ask ... to that bristle.

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I've been very ill, and people have been very kind to bring food. Some of the people brought food in nice dishes that they'll want back, but I am still not cleared to drive.

Who is responsible for returning the good dishes? Me or the person who brought them?

GENTLE READER: Under normal circumstances, you, but yours are extenuating. Miss Manners will therefore declare you responsible only for cleaning them -- and also that doing so at the moment of receipt is acceptable.

What a beautiful casserole dish. I'm not certain when I will be able to return this to you, so here -- let me transfer it to one of my containers and clean it for you quickly.

If the person protests that it can wait, or that they will pick it up later, take them up on it. And clear a shelf for all of your new, abandoned dishware.

========

(Please send your questions to Miss Manners at her website, www.missmanners.com; to her email, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or through postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.)

COPYRIGHT 2022 JUDITH MARTIN

DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

COPYRIGHT 2022 JUDITH MARTIN

Between Friends Adam Zyglis Dana Summers A.F. Branco Baby Blues Daddy Daze