/

Ladies And Gentlemen: Inclusive Alternatives Abound

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

With COVID, there were no funerals or visitations, so I sent personal notes to the bereaved, sometimes in lieu of a donation and sometimes in addition. In almost every case, I got a note back, thanking me for my note.

In the future, do I need to send a note if I receive a note, or is it simply that so few people send notes these days that the bereaved feel compelled to thank me for writing?

GENTLE READER: Has the word note come to replace letter, the way people no longer speak of mothers but only of moms?

If you mean simply taking note of a death -- such as the horrible habit of attaching a like to the news -- it does not require a response. But letters of condolence, expressing sympathy with appreciation of the deceased, have always had to be answered. To those who consider it a burden on the bereaved, Miss Manners points out that it is a courtesy performed on behalf of those they lost, as well as encouragement for continued kindness to the grieving.

========

(Please send your questions to Miss Manners at her website, www.missmanners.com; to her email, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or through postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.)

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

John Cole Candorville Dinette Set Andy Marlette Dana Summers Agnes