/

Misspelling Uncorrected After Two Decades

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

Letters of thanks are generally reserved for dinner parties, job interviews, state appointments, extraordinary favors and, of course, presents. Miss Manners proposes that you tell your ex-wife that your son similarly brushed off the suggestion -- but that you hope the bridal couple's wedding present from him did not get lost in the mail, lo those two years ago.

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I am starting to get a bit annoyed with a fellow parent of my daughter's basketball team. This gentleman is constantly talking to no one in particular. It may seem like he is cheering, but it is actually driving some of us over the edge.

This habit of his probably comes from his enthusiasm for the game, but how can I gently ask him to stop the constant chatter?

GENTLE READER: By saying, What? I'm sorry. Are you talking to me? enough times that it becomes too tiresome for him to continue.

========

(Please send your questions to Miss Manners at her website, www.missmanners.com; to her email, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or through postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.)

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

John Cole Phil Hands Milt Priggee Meaning of Lila Little Dog Lost Kevin Siers