/

Dodging Questions About Acquaintance's Book

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

DEAR MISS MANNERS: A gentleman I know only because he's married to an old high school classmate has written and self-published a rather long novel on a topic I know and care nothing about. In a recent online get-together with his wife and some of our other high school chums, he asked if he could pitch his book to us, then proceeded to describe the book, where it could be purchased and for what price. We all politely expressed our admiration for his achievement.

Yesterday, a copy of the book arrived at my home. I immediately thanked the author in neutral terms: Imagine my surprise when I discovered a copy of your tome on my doorstep! It is a handsome volume, indeed. Thanks so much for adding it to my library!

But now I am at a loss as to what to do when he inevitably queries me about what I thought of it. I don't want to lie, yet I also don't want to hurt this fellow's feelings about a work he says he wrote over a 35-year period.

GENTLE READER: Would you consider it a lie to say, I'm looking forward to reading it?

Yes? Well, then, how about, I'm anxious to read it?

Anxious doesn't mean the same thing as eager, you know. And you do sound to Miss Manners as if you are truly anxious at the prospect of having to read it.

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I have appalling manners over the phone and on email. I am condescending, abusive and rude. My grammar and spelling are terrible, as well; I use ALL CAPS for no reason and misuse punctuation (my favorite is to use several exclamation points or question marks to really communicate the contempt I have for other humans). IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR SOMEONE LIKE ME????!!

GENTLE READER: NONE! Not when you are so proud of your failings as to make sure to repeat them in such an obviously provocative fashion.

DEAR MISS MANNERS: Can you please, once again, state the rule for when thank-you notes for wedding gifts should be sent out? (Perhaps you could state this in large type, bolded?) My friends who are mothers-of-brides tell me that brides have a year to write thank-yous, and I have been unable to find Miss Manners' guidelines via online searches.

Miss Manners, I'm on my elderly, arthritic knees! I never know if my carefully chosen gifts are received!

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

Hi and Lois Mallard Fillmore Jimmy Margulies Lee Judge Reply All Taylor Jones