/

Declining Invitations To Marketing 'parties'

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

DEAR MISS MANNERS: My sister-in-law, who is otherwise a lovely person, has a bad habit of borrowing things and not returning them. I'm speaking mostly of kitchen/dining items like serving platters, baking pans, decorative trays, etc.

She will borrow items for a specific use, then months later, I will see her bring them out and use them like they are hers. I didn't say anything at first, since I didn't want to embarrass her, but it's a habit now.

How do I tactfully prevent this in the future? And is there any way I can, at this late date, get my old things back?

GENTLE READER: You are right not to embarrass your sister-in-law, but that does not mean it's too late to ask for the missing items back -- just wait until after dinner.

Miss Manners imagines a private aside in which you express the hope that she enjoyed the loan of the platter, and you're happy to take it home now with just a simple rinse and drying.

========

(Please send your questions to Miss Manners at her website, www.missmanners.com; to her email, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or through postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.)

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

Arctic Circle John Cole Barney & Clyde Jeff Danziger Gary Markstein Dogs of C-Kennel