/

Pre-Pandemic Gaffe Seemed Funny Then, But Alarming Now

Judith Martin, Nicholas Ivor Martin and Jacobina Martin on

DEAR MISS MANNERS: My wife and I are blessed with a wonderful family. The problem is that one of our kids likes to give us outsized books as gifts.

These are NOT coffee-table size: The latest is 20 pounds. These books are on subjects that we enjoy, but it's just not comfortable to read them. What would you advise?

GENTLE READER: An idea for your children on the next occasion that they want to give you a present: a lectern, with adjustable height, so that you can use it while seated or standing. Meanwhile, if you have a sturdy music stand around, try that. (Total disclosure: Miss Manners has art books like that. She reads them on the floor.)

If you just want smaller books, she suggests talking enthusiastically with the givers about the subject matter or an illustration, and volunteering to show it to them. Then you say, But would you mind holding it for me, please, as it's too heavy for me to manage.

========

(Please send your questions to Miss Manners at her website, www.missmanners.com; to her email, dearmissmanners@gmail.com; or through postal mail to Miss Manners, Andrews McMeel Syndication, 1130 Walnut St., Kansas City, MO 64106.)

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

DISTRIBUTED BY ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION

COPYRIGHT 2021 JUDITH MARTIN

Monte Wolverton Red and Rover Reply All Ed Gamble Mike Shelton Sarah's Scribbles