/

Millenial Life: The Wonder in Brief Moments of Caring

Cassie McClure on

She grimaced and continued. "I'm on a whole bunch of medicines right now, but they're not helping."

We both moved to the door. She said, "I'm even on an anti-nausea medicine, but I don't think it's helping." She rubbed her stomach.

"Irony isn't fun," I murmured as I held the door open. I turned to the left, and she turned to the right. "Take care," I said.

She called out, "Hey." I turned back.

"Thanks for the concern," she said.

I was taken aback and said, "Of course."

I couldn't help but ask about her suffering. She didn't expect anyone to ask. Back then, I wondered why even just a check-in with a stranger didn't seem commonplace. As we move through the distance we encounter in our divided nation, I wonder whether this distance hasn't already been established in our reality for many years. Perhaps we've taken the idea that we care about each other for granted.

========

Cassie McClure is a writer, wife/mama/daughter, fan of the Oxford comma, and drinker of tequila. Some of those things relate. She is also a National Society of Newspaper Columnists ambassador and can be contacted at cassie@mcclurepublications.com. To find out more about Cassie McClure and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at www.creators.com.

Copyright 2021 Creators Syndicate Inc.

Hagar the Horrible Master Strokes: Golf Tips For Heaven's Sake The Other Coast Jack Ohman Gary McCoy