/

Giving Thanks and Feeling Grateful

Annie Lane on

Dear Readers: As we prepare our tables and tummies for tomorrow's Thanksgiving celebration, I find myself reflecting on the countless things I am grateful for. From good health to loving friends and family to our wonderful community of readers and letter writers, there are so many things, big and small, to appreciate.

Here are some of my favorite quotes about gratitude.

"When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." -- G.K. Chesterton

"When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself." -- Tecumseh

"It's a funny thing about life, once you begin to take note of the things you are grateful for, you begin to lose sight of the things that you lack." -- Germany Kent

"When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around." -- Willie Nelson

"He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has." -- Epictetus

"Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." -- Marcel Proust

"Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; but the thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings." -- Henry Ward Beecher

The Other Coast One Big Happy John Branch John Cole Paul Szep Mike Du Jour