/

Farewell to Summer

Annie Lane on

Dear Readers: Today marks the first day of a new season and one of my favorites: fall. As we say so long to summer and swap our swimsuits for sweaters, we look ahead to new and exciting memories to come -- from back-to-school activities to trick-or-treating, football games to pumpkin-carving and plenty of apple cider.

Here are some of my favorite quotes to ring in autumn:

"Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all." -- Stanley Horowitz

"Fall has always been my favorite season. The time when everything bursts with its last beauty, as if nature had been saving up all year for the grand finale." -- Lauren Destefano

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." -- L. M. Montgomery

"Love the trees until their leaves fall off, then encourage them to try again next year." -- Chad Sugg

"I can smell autumn dancing in the breeze. The sweet chill of pumpkin, and crisp sunburnt leaves." -- Ann Drake

"Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons." -- Jim Bishop

"There is something incredibly nostalgic and significant about the annual cascade of autumn leaves." -- Joe L. Wheeler

"Autumn leaves don't fall, they fly. They take their time and wander on this their only chance to soar." -- Delia Owens

John Deering Dinette Set Bart van Leeuwen Bob Gorrell Family Circus Doonesbury