/

Wisdom From 'Walden'

Annie Lane on

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life so. Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something."

"All good things are wild and free."

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately."

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity."

"We need the tonic of wildness ... At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be infinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us because unfathomable. We can never have enough of Nature."

"Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all."

"Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influence of the earth."

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

========

"Ask Me Anything: A Year of Advice From Dear Annie" is out now! Annie Lane's debut book -- featuring favorite columns on love, friendship, family and etiquette -- is available as a paperback and e-book. Visit http://www.creatorspublishing.com for more information. Send your questions for Annie Lane to dearannie@creators.com.

Phil Hands Candorville Joel Pett Daddy Daze Baby Blues Arctic Circle