/

Which Do You Prefer?

Annie Lane on

Dear Annie: For a long time now, my wife has had a habit of making our server choose what side dishes she is going to have. If there is a choice of wedding soup or creamy chicken and potato or broccoli or peas, my wife will often say to the server, "Surprise me." I think this puts pressure on the server. What if my wife does not like the choice that someone else made for her? -- Puzzled in PA

Dear Puzzled in PA: At upscale restaurants, it's not uncommon to let the chef select your meal. At chain restaurants and more casual places, I can see how this question might put unfair pressure on employees. However, I'd be curious to hear from servers on this topic.

Dear Annie: I'm raising my two grandchildren, ages 6 and 5. My wife and I have court-ordered custody of them. Our daughter, their mother, is a heroin addict and, like most heroin addicts, seems completely helpless to the drug's powerful hold. I wrote the following poem that appeared in my home paper, The Bartlett Express, a few years ago. It was shared online thousands of times. It would mean a great deal to me if you were to print it. Maybe, just maybe, it will prevent a teenager from trying the deadly drug that first time. -- Tennessee Papa

Hello, young person.

My name is Heroin.

It is so good to meet you for the first time. And I just know we are going to be the best of friends.

Go ahead: Try me. Don't pay any attention to what your parents and society have been telling you your whole life about me.

I promise you will LOVE me!

I will take you by the hand and take you to places of warmth and happiness and joy the likes of which you've never dreamed.

I guarantee you, we will become inseparable!

Curtis Pearls Before Swine Mother Goose & Grimm Spectickles Ken Catalino Wumo