/

Erika Ettin: Less-awkward first dates start with the right questions

Erika Ettin, Tribune News Service on

First dates can be, well, uncomfortable sometimes. There’s no denying that. From the sweat coming out of pores you didn’t know existed, to the awkward silences when you actually contemplate talking about how unseasonably cold it is outside, to the question of who pays the bill (a never-ending conversation), first dates are often fairly anxiety-inducing. (They can also be wonderful, of course!)

One thing that can make it even harder is not knowing the right questions to ask. Now, we all hope that the conversation flows naturally on a first date, but inevitably, most of us — even those who think we could have a conversation with a brick wall — will be stumped at some point or another.

Rather than running off to the restroom to plot your next topic of conversation, it’s a good idea to have a few questions in your back pocket.

There are no right or wrong questions to ask on a date (though, don’t try me on this…), but the ones that have the most luck require more than a simple one-word answer. You want to get the person thinking, showing them you actually care.

For example, rather than asking, “What do you do?” (perhaps the most boring question in the book), you could ask, “What made you decide to get into medicine?” or “How do you enjoy your job as a pediatrician? I imagine it must be very rewarding.” The first question allows your date to simply say, “I’m a doctor,” but the other two require a bit more thought and introspection, leading to a more thoughtful conversation.