/

This couple fell for one another singing. Now they're celebrating their 70th anniversary

John Sowell, Idaho Statesman on

One of her books, "The Tempering," tells the story of three teenagers struggling in a steel town. It was written as an homage to her father, who worked at the Duquesne Works. She drew on her background in Duquesne to craft the story.

She also collaborated with Edward Skurzynski for a nonfiction work on the history of the rocket industry, "This Is Rocket Science: True Stories of the Risk-taking Scientists who Figure Out Ways to Explore Beyond Earth."

The Skurzynskis, who live independently in a house off State Street and near the Boise River, didn't have anything special planned for their anniversary.

They planned to get together virtually with their children, Dr. Serena Nolan, 68, a retired physician from Baltimore; Jan Skurzynski, 68, of Boise; Joni Alan, 65, of Santa Fe, New Mexico; Ferguson, 64, of Tampa, Florida, and Lauren Thliveris, 62, of Madison, Wisconsin. They also have seven grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

The evening was likely to include singing, something important to Gloria and Edward when they first dated and meaningful to them and their children over the years.

"I know that they've planned a musical, because I've been getting little snippets of what they're doing," Gloria Skurzynski said. "I don't know what it's going to be, but it's going to be some kind of a big program that everybody's been working on to put together."

____

©2021 Idaho Statesman. Visit at idahostatesman.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.