/

This couple fell for one another singing. Now they're celebrating their 70th anniversary

John Sowell, Idaho Statesman on

Yours in the gray of December.

Here or on far distant shores.

I've never loved anyone the way I love you.

How could I when I was born to be just yours?

The couple were married on Dec. 1, 1951, at Holy Name Catholic Church in Duquesne.

Edward Skurzynski spent 32 years working for Hercules Aerospace. He was involved in research and development of rocket motor systems for both space vehicles and Department of Defense weapons systems. He worked for the company at the Allegany Ballistics Laboratory outside Cumberland, Maryland, and later at its Bacchus Works plant in Magna, Utah.

Edward Skurzynski graduated with a bachelor's degree in mathematics and went to work for the John Hancock life insurance company. He worked as an actuary, someone who measures and manages risk and uncertainty. He found he didn't like that field and looked for something else.

"We saw an article in the paper about Hercules, we got in the car and arranged to have an interview, and I got the job," he said. "I certainly didn't study to be a rocket engineer. But I used my background, and with my math I was doing heat-transer analyses and convinced them to get their first computer."

Gloria Skurzynski began writing professionally after receiving encouragement from Phyllis McGinley, a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet from Utah. McGinley was born in Ontario, Oregon, and grew up in Colorado and Utah. The two women corresponded for many years.

"Here I am a nobody and she started corresponding with me," Gloria Skurzynski said. "And so she encouraged me to write children's books and so I did. When the first one was published I dedicated to her."

©2021 Idaho Statesman. Visit at idahostatesman.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.