/

Erika Ettin: How to have a great first date

Erika Ettin, Tribune News Service on

9. Be fake or some false version of yourself

10. Flip the “off” switch if no attraction

The last point always gets some questions. Sometimes we walk into a date, or log into a video chat, and know within a matter of minutes that there is no attraction whatsoever. I’m a big believer that attraction can grow, but in order to grow, there at least has to be a little seedling to start.

If there’s not, many people will just turn off, or no longer stay present on the date. Yes, they are present physically, but no longer mentally… and it shows. This means that you’re not only wasting your time but your date’s as well since you’ve both set aside the time.

Rather than deciding that this date is a failure at the get-go, instead, reframe your mind. Could this person teach you something? Could he or she be a business contact? When you frame things as, “What can I learn from this interaction?” then it’s a more pleasant experience for both of you.

What to do on a first date:

1. Confirm one day before the date (via text is A-OK)

2. Arrive on time

3. Wear clothes to match the venue (And if the “venue” is home, then at least look presentable on top.)

4. Smile and remain positive

©2021 Tribune Content Agency, LLC