/

Erika Ettin: It's the little things …

Erika Ettin, Tribune News Service on

I went to my high school reunion last year (remember when there were in-person events?). At the reunion, I ran into a friend whom I hadn't seen, well, since high school. Out of the blue, he started telling me about a woman he was seeing -- and whom he had brought as his date. (Because of my job as a dating coach, people tend to open up to me quickly.) When his partner went to get a drink, my friend looked at me with mischievous eyes and asked, "So, what are some of the dating questions men ask you anyway?" I laughed because the questions run the gamut from things about texting all the way to sex... and everything in between. A few of the memorable ones are below, with my responses. (Please note that the last two were written pre-COVID.)

The Flummoxed Texter

Flummoxed Texter: How many days should I wait before I text my date to tell her I had a good time and want to see her again?

Erika: Text her the next day saying you had a great time and that you'll call the following day to set up plans... and then actually call! Bonus points. (Double bonus points if you text her right after the date making sure she got home okay.)

Flummoxed Texter: What if she doesn't respond to the text?

Erika: I'd still call as planned.

Flummoxed Texter: And if she doesn't return the phone call?

Erika: Barring some unforeseen circumstances, she's not interested. Move on.

Note: Women, if you are not interested, please do respond saying that you didn't feel a connection or some variant of that. No one likes to be ignored. The same goes for men.

The Shorts-lover