/

Erika Ettin: Texting makes dating difficult

Erika Ettin, Tribune News Service on

I have an app that tells me the keywords people use to get to my website. When I checked the list of keywords recently, the top results (excluding the name of the business and my name) were:

- Text before first date

- Text after date

- How much texting is too much

- Texting before the first date

- Texting before meeting in person

- When to text after a date

Notice any trends? I realized that if so many people are asking about texting and dating, then it was worth discussing the etiquette of texting, or textiquette.

Who doesn't love a sweet text now and then? It's nice to wake up to a "Good morning" or get a thoughtful "Thinking about you" in the middle of the day. But where do you draw the line between cute and inappropriate?

For better or for worse, the days of calling and asking someone out are slowly going the way of the landline or even the DVD player (gasp!). A phone call is still the best method if you've met in person already or a friend is fixing you up. If you met online, though, I recommend just scheduling the date over the online dating site's messaging platform. (Caveat: In corona-times, I recommend scheduling the call or video chat over the dating platform, as you would plan a regular date.) I do, however, recommend exchanging numbers a day or two prior to the date so you can 1) confirm and 2) contact each other the day of in case something goes awry (you need to cancel, you're running late, etc.).