/

How to best help a friend suffering from mental illness

I've read over the past wedding chats before asking, and I think this is a new conundrum, or maybe just a thing to laugh about? Our caterer royally screwed up, and most meat and fish were uncooked. Not under, un-. So, refund. Yay! And because no one ate, no one got sick.

Some not-close-to-us guests, friends of parents, have heavily insinuated that we should refund them for the dinner they left the reception early to get. Which on its own is and eye-roll, whatever, not Worth It. But the 'tude plus the fact that they also went to a fancy restaurant and spent fairly more than our per-person budget ... we're real disinclined.

Parents have offered to support our decision, but if we do it, it's for their sake. Thoughts?

-- Disinclined

Oh for fox's sake. No, you don't have to reimburse guests for their meals after a caterer fail. Gracious people would understand -- reflexively -- that their hosts paid penalty enough, and then some, for having their event ruined.

What is wrong with people.

A dear friend died very unexpectedly. The service is coming up, and I expect it will be an open casket. I have serious anxiety issues about seeing a dead body.

I want to make sure this terrible, awful day will be about the family getting the comfort they need, not me. What can I do, short of averting my eyes?

-- Anonymous

I am so sorry about your friend.

In my experience, open caskets are positioned so that viewing the body is a choice -- but call the funeral home to be sure. Funeral directors tend to be unusually discreet, sensitive people -- their livelihoods depend on it.

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2019, Washington Post Writers Group

Bob Gorrell Dinette Set Scary Gary Red and Rover Herb and Jamaal The Lockhorns