My mom 'poisoned' my girlfriend

My girlfriend, "Cleo," is allergic to seafood. She does not carry an EpiPen because "it's not that type of reaction," but she always asks lots of questions about ingredients and preparation. My mom finds the questions insulting and believed Cleo was making up the allergy.

Recently at my family barbecue, Cleo did her usual questioning before eating. Maybe 30 minutes later she started complaining that her face itched. She took Benadryl but she turned red, and her eyes began swelling. We had to go to the emergency room for a cortisone shot. As we're getting in the car, my mom confessed she fried the fish and chicken in the same oil and lied when Cleo asked. She admitted she planned to prove Cleo's allergy was fake.

My mom apologized and is paying the emergency room bill. Even so, Cleo called my mom a monster and wants nothing to do with her. She also broke up with me, saying I shouldn't have to choose between her and Mom. She won't consider a compromise like eating before visits.

Is there any way to get past my anger at my mom and get Cleo back?

Sponsored Video Stories from LifeZette

-- My Mom Poisoned My Girlfriend

Wow. No, there's no "compromise" like "eating before visits." Would you ever agree to that yourself, seriously? Food is social sustenance as well, and not something one sidelines because one's boyfriend's mom's ego insisted she commit assault.

Or, put another way, would you ever consider yourself so awesome a catch that someone would make such a huge sacrifice just to be with you?

Bizarro Herb and Jamaal Doonesbury Family Circus Andy Capp Free Range