Inattentive Facebooker misses news of friend's tragedy, commits faux pas

I am a teacher at a large high school, and typically only interact with those in my wing of the school. On the first day we returned from break, I bumped into "Polly" while signing in and cheerfully asked, "How was your [vacation]?" She glared at me and stomped away. I'm sure I gave her a frown in return at the perceived rudeness. A week or so later, I remembered the incident and looked her up on Facebook. We were friends, but I had muted her postings since she posted quite frequently.

I then discovered that she suffered a late (seven months in) miscarriage. She had many detailed posts of her anguish.

I felt TERRIBLE that I may have triggered this reaction from her.

Since then, I occasionally run into her at school and she is friendly but distant. My question is, is it worth bringing up months after the fact to apologize?

And what is my responsibility to be aware of people's personal issues if we are social media friends but I do not actually pay attention to their posts?

-- Regret

You have zero obligation to be aware of what people post on social media.

Think about it -- you can't go on vacation? Take a break from Facebook for a while? Or quit it entirely? What if the algorithm filters out someone because you unwittingly went for a certain period of time not liking or commenting on someone's posts, or just missed them as a matter of timing. That's your fault?

Tina's Groove Archie Andy Capp Shoe For Better or For Worse Bob Gorrell