/

Pressured to repair husband's relationship with his sisters

My husband is not close with his sisters, who do not live locally. They text sometimes, but don't see one another more than once a year, and almost always when we travel to them.

We had a baby this summer whom his sisters and their families have never met. My mother-in-law, who lives much closer to us, keeps asking and telling me -- and sometimes also my husband -- that I need to help her coordinate a meeting. So far I have just ignored her comments and emails.

I know she is trying to rope me into this because my family has seen the baby a lot more; I am much closer to my family, and they are willing to travel. I resent being told that coordinating with his family is my responsibility.

My husband says to keep ignoring her. Next time she brings it up, I would like to tell her it isn't my job to manage my husband's relationships with his sisters and ask her to stop asking me to interfere. Is that making a mountain out of a molehill?

I do think it is sad my husband isn't closer with his sisters, but he isn't, and my overtures to connect with them over the years have been rejected. I feel guilty because the baby has spent so much more time with my family, and I know that's why my mother-in-law is trying.

-- Maryland

You've "ignored her"; she's "trying to rope me into this"; he says "keep ignoring her"; you propose saying "it isn't my job" to "interfere" -- why all the dancing instead of just communicating?

"Milly, I understand. You want the sisters to be included. You want the family to be close. I do too!"

Because you do want that! You tried! You made overtures!

Nest Heads Dilbert The Lockhorns Rugrats Momma The Pajama Diaries