/

Stepkids show no interest in new baby

I have two stepchildren, 17 and 15. They switch off between our house and their mother's. My husband and I have been married three years and have a 6-month-old daughter.

I am really sad about the lack of affection between my stepkids and my daughter. They never hold her or play with her or ask to feed her. They basically pretend she isn't there.

My husband says to just give them time, but he doesn't do much to encourage all of us to do things together. It's like he spends time with his older kids or the baby but not all of us at once.

I want us to be a family and it doesn't feel like we are now. You can't force affection, but I would like to know how to encourage it.

-- Step-parent

Treating this as an isolated problem that started six months ago, I look to your husband. His either-or approach to his kids offers both the easiest explanation and the easiest possible solution. Get him invested in doing more as a family unit, and you'll slowly, naturally promote more of a bond. It's tough with older teenagers, but doable.

But treating this as a problem that can't be isolated to the past six months, I think we're closer to the truth. Because any blended family issue is going to have a backstory that includes the dissolution of the kids' family of origin, the formation of the blended family, and the three or so years of family building that preceded the birth of your child.

If there are seeds in that history of the alienation you're seeing now, and if you planted them yourself, helped in any way to nurture them, or even just pretended they weren't there, then you're accountable too.

Fort Knox Meaning of Lila Tina's Groove Nick Anderson Non Sequitur Poorly Drawn Lines