/

Mother wishes to remember recently deceased daughter in her will

I have things going in my life, but I can't speak of them between digital noise and verbal restreams. I know he's lonely, but I'm at my wits' end. My instinct is to be perpetually unavailable, but welcome any suggestions.

-- C.

The phone problem is easy, especially given his addiction admission. Say you won't dine with him unless he turns it off and puts it away-away. You have that right.

If he refuses, then, huzzah, that solves the other problem of disengaging from a friend you clearly don't like.

If he agrees, then at least find out if killing the phone revives the conversation. It's not an unheard of result. And don't be afraid to say outright that you'd cherish a turn to speak. If quitting him is the alternative, then why not try?

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2018, Washington Post Writers Group

Beetle Bailey Poorly Drawn Lines Dinette Set Boondocks Dustin Doonesbury