/

Single-mother-to-be should not delay pregnancy

They're thinking about right now, but a baby isn't right now, it's a pregnancy first.

I'm sorry about your mom's health, and I hope she's quick to improve.

Re: Maybe Baby:

There's no guarantee that artificial insemination will work for you, let alone on the first try. My husband and I started trying when I was your age. Now I am 40 and we have spent years, incalculable pain, and tens of thousands of dollars trying to have a child.

You are up against a very real deadline. While you don't need to panic, you don't need to dither, either. There is a chance that delaying to suit your parents could rob you of your chance to be a mother, or wipe out your savings.

-- Anonymous

Thank you for this dose of reality, and I'm sorry for the tough breaks that positioned you to provide it.

========

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com, follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/carolyn.hax or chat with her online at noon Eastern time each Friday at www.washingtonpost.com.

(c) 2017, Washington Post Writers Group

Rhymes with Orange For Better or For Worse Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee Dog Eat Doug Mike Lester Intelligent Life